A Stick in Time...

...saves time, of course! I haven't had time lately.  I was tied to the notebook, dreaming up events for a pharmaceutical company, writing the script guide and wait for it...opening prayers!  I wrote one for the first event and apparently I did so well I got asked to do more. Hmmm.  I am not particularly religious but I do believe in the heartfelt "ask" and the Higher Power.

I had no time to cook, bathe the dogs, clean my room or eat.  When I do eat (and I must otherwise my brain shuts down) I go for easy.  Fried eggs (can you tell I don't like runny yolk?); sandwiches; oatmeal (except adding milk to it gave me gas pain);
one bowl dinners a.k.a. toppings on rice; hash browns; cookies; Skyflakes crackers; Cream-O cookie sandwich; and everything on sticks.
 I looked up the history of eating food on sticks.  I found a rather irreverent, funny history peppered with some truth to it.  Maybe.
The funny history says man is fascinated with impaling. (The very word makes me think Troy and Titans, the movies).  They're referring to cave man cooking - spearing meat, thrusting it on a spit and suspending the lot over a fire pit.
The serious history says tree branches are the first ever utensils so that makes sense - modern man whittled the wood down to the toothpick.  The natural progression of man made things is to make it smallest.
Whatever, I thank the one who came up with the small stick. I just want to say small food on sticks is a direct cause of man wanting to downsize man size meat to eat; in favor of convenience (lighter load for carts and lunchboxes/bags) diet and the cocktail party.  Wolfing down a whole cow or a head of hog will flat line you quick!
Just ask Mr. Lechon head here. Btw, Anthony Bourdain should come back!
I say sticks keep the meat from getting all sooty with coal.  Cooking with coal gives you seared meat and crisp, burnt at the edge fat.  Yum! You want that sizzle and pop. You want the smoky thing in your barbecue.
We Pinoys do love our grilled "what don't we want to throw out "parts" and then some.  We grill whole blood squares, intestines, chicken feet, fish, chicken, pork, hotdogs.  You'll find every corner or pavement in front of someone's house taken over by grillers.
On the other hand, the more health conscious (hmmm, carcinogens in burning meat or cholesterol in deep frying?) will go for the deep fry.  A lot less messy too than the juicier barbecue.

The very rare day I pried myself loose from the notebook (and I didn't bring it with me) I went to the Saturday Market hoping to find something new to eat.
I had a Picole juicy pop.  On a stick, of course, because its a pop - as in pop it in I suppose.  Anyways, I brought home the stick to photograph hehehe.
I had the Chili Tamarind and Chili pop. It really is tamarind - sweet and sour with a kick of chili.  It was a breezy but humid day (rained earlier) and eating at the Salcedo market with all the smells and smoke - yep, from the grills - made me feel the trapped heat more.  I walked over to Caramia at the Ayala Triangle Gardens.  I needed to sit quietly and ogle at trees.  My seat at Caramia was perfect - I was alone in a corner booth and the Amici crowd was way on the other side that I decided to stay inside (air conditioning!) and linger over a Nocciola cake instead -hazelnut and chocolate in sans rival-like layers. I figured I can try making the gelato sometime soon.
Afterwards I looked for something to eat.  I know, dessert came first!  I couldn't find anything I wanted or in portion sizes my suddenly shrunk intestines can take, after all that not eating much. It was a Saturday too, so what the early rains scared off - the crowd - the brightening weather brought out in force. My Saturday quiet idling went pfffttt.  I wanted to get a bento box from Sakura, only my favorite place in Glorietta, except that day I didn't feel up to eating in the middle of the mall hubbub (tables are out on the hallway).  I got sticks to go instead - kushiage!
 These are deep fried, tempura batter mantled things. The big round one up top is the salmon and shiitake; the manatee or dugong looking fry is kisu - fish fillet; like asohos; the stone hedge looking one is a wedge of  eggplant; and this last are quail eggs.  These came with a salt, pepper, brown sugar and chili mix like the ones you dip guavas in in Bangkok; plus a sauce made from ketchup, worcestershire and hot sauce.  I'm just guessing.  I love these handy eats.
 And I didn't forget my jumbo siopao from Kowloon too. Half-eaten, sorry!

P.s.  Sing with me: All my food are brownnnn and the sky is grayyyy. Oh well, my notebook waits for me.
Do you like my toothpick holders? Aren't they cute?

Comments

Popular Posts