Puto Kayo Dyan! (kakanin 2)





I am a fairly independent woman. I can watch a movie, shop, and have coffee alone. In fact I prefer it. There would be no waiting up for others to get ready or get a move on, no backseat driver and the rest chiming in with their shoulda, woulda, couldas till tempers rise. Nobody saying eat more of this, sit properly, don't jiggle your legs, etc.

I enjoyed lots of alone time when I was working and living away from home, but finding myself alone on a weekend stroll through the Ayala Malls and seeing families eating out and having a reunion of sorts made me a little sad. Weekending solo (had to put in overtime) amid a flurry of hugging, banter, teasing, a collective oohing and aahing over kids and new babies, posing for pictures and air kissing-peace-be-with-yous at mass - I feel like a voyeur. I guess no matter the hassle (or how dysfunctional families can get) family day is a tradition so ingrained we just have to get together. Despite the going nuts over nothing parts -what to order, fast food or fine dining, lingering at stores and the interminable wait for the others to follow- like planets round the sun you can't really wander off your orbit too far or for long.

So I wait for the free weekend to treat my family to a meal they may or may not like. My mom thinks it a waste of money when she can cook at home (I hate the clearing and washing up after); the brothers hate the driving part and bundling everyone into cars; the dressing up; my choice of food - for a long while they wanted "just" chicken and rice - I wanted them to "eat better". My nephews eventually developed a liking for Japanese food, Vietnamese spring rolls, Shabu-Shabu hotpots.

Nowadays, with time on my hands and not as much blowout money we stick to home cooking (this blog is full of it hehehe). I bake for all, as well. This week is the exception. I am on quarantine. I am stuck in my room, trying to isolate which allergen is responsible for my skin rash.

But nobody is missing out on the sweet stuff! The youngest brother not only (thankfully) stepped into my role - bringing home the bacon - he also brings home the goodies!

A lot of people checked out my green suman post (I swear, that's what came up on my keyword search list). For you lot, I give you more from Rosalie's in Marilao, Bulacan, courtesy of my brother. He brought home puto and kakanin this time.

The kakanin looked like a day-glo Christmas wreathe! How apt for this -ber month. This Styrofoam plateful of circlets of ube, kutchinta, and biko made for a festive wreathe, don't you think? You could say it's a deconstructed sapin sapin, the layers not piled on top of the other.

Kakanin is basically a mix of coconut cream, rice flour or sticky rice and white sugar with flavorings or food coloring added to indicate, well, flavor! You cook the lot in a steamer. The purple circlet is the ube or purple yam flavored kakanin, while the yellow part is just yellow hehehe. I didn't get a distinctive flavor from the yellow one so it could be langka or jackfruit. The purple and yellow circlets were finely mashed, so you don't see the grain like you would in the biko, the off-white one. Sprinkled all over is my favorite: sweet, caramel-ly, coconut oil infused brown dregs - coconut meat and coconut cream cooked to a scrumptious shrivel. Mmmmm.
There was puto as well. Some puto tastes like hotcake, some too bland it owes its bit of flavor from the cheese topping. Some are more sweet, with nary a trace of anise and yeast that makes a proper puto. I didn't know this before. I was trying to pinpoint why puto has an aftertaste, like bread does.

This is what I call the double whammy puto - one topped with cheese and the other with itlog na maalat (salted red egg). That's the double part. The whammy is in the filling. Oh no! Adobo!

Cooked twice I presume, to reduce the sauce else you get a soggy puto. So you bite into the cheese or itlog na maalat, you get to the spongy puto (saltiness of the toppings tamed somewhat) and then sink your teeth into the adobo, for a new flavor flare (hint of dry laurel and pepper). I prefer the cheese topped one. While good, I was a bit overwhelmed by the richness of adobo and the combined saltiness with the itlog na maalat.

Or maybe it's because I ate one of each!
Coffee, please! Make it black! : )

Note: can't give you directions, only the brother knows and it's easy to get lost, so! Good luck finding it!

Rosalies's Special Kakanin
219 Sta. Rosa II, Marilao Bulacan
tel. nos. : (44) 711-5724, (920)246-6030, (921)951-7187

Comments

Popular Posts